6.05.2012

Tutorial: Bow Kindle Case


One of my dearest friends asked me a while back if I would create a case for her Kindle. 
Umm, of course! 
She wanted a nautical theme, so I immediately thought of Dear Stella's Tossed Away Anchors in Navy paired with Flamingo Solid by Free Spirits
We both also love feminine and sweet details, so I thought a bow would be the perfect addition to this Kindle Case. 

Here's a lovely tutorial to make your own:
{If you don't own a Kindle, this is also perfect to create a lovely bow pouch!}


Supplies: 
Exterior Fabric
Interior Fabric
Padded Felt {or other type of padding per your preference}
Coordinating Thread
Zipper
Zipper Foot
{plus of course your basics: sewing machine, iron, needles, measuring tape, chalk, scissors}

My kindle, and hers alike, is a 3rd generation measures approximately 7.5 in. x 4.75 in.


Measurements: 
1. Padded Felt {or other padding}: 9 in. x 7 in. - 2 Pieces
2. Exterior Fabric: 9 in. x 7 in. - 2 Pieces
3. Interior Fabric: 9 in. x 7 in. - 2 Pieces
4. Fabric for large bow piece {matches interior}: 8 in. x 5.5 in. - 2 Pieces
5. Small piece for center of bow {matches interior}: 2 in. x 5 in. - 1 Piece

After your pieces have been cut, take the smallest piece {2 in. x 5 in.} for the bow and fold so the ends meet up evenly in the middle. Press with your iron.:


Then sew the folded edges of this small piece close to the edge of the side folds:


It will look like this:


With the right sides of the piece together, fold the piece so the raw edges meet up:


Sew across to secure approximately 2 inches from the fold of the small piece:


Turn inside out and it will look like so:


Next, take your larger cut pieces for the bow section, pin, and sew along the long sides, right sides together:


Before the piece is turned inside out, it should look like this:


Turn the large bow piece inside out:


Then, cinch the end of the larger bow piece and pull through the center bow piece: 


The bow will look like this:


After you have assembled the bow, simply pin the raw edges of the bow onto the long edges of one exterior piece of fabric, wherever you would like the bow placed. I chose a centered position for the bow.
Sew the bow edges and the one exterior piece along the length of the raw edges of the bow, as close to the edge as possible. This will secure the bow in place.

I trimmed my zipper to work with the body fabric pieces.
{if you also are trimming your zipper, be sure to use old craft scissors and not your precious sewing scissors}:


Next, is the zipper installation, with what I like to call a "zipper sandwich."
Your sandwich should be assembled like so:
First place down your padded felt, next place an exterior piece right side up, next align your zipper and place it right side down {the zipper pull should be facing the right side of the exterior fabric- back of zipper should face up} and lastly place your interior piece right side down, with all edges meeting:


Here's another visual for this zipper sandwich while pinned:


With your zipper presser foot on your machine, sew your zipper sandwich and reinforce your stitching on each end, using the zipper foot as your guide:


Then repeat this for the other side of the zipper:
{The easiest way to approach the other side of the zipper is to simply pretend the other fabric you have already sewn is not there, just follow the same zipper installation steps as above.}



Once your zipper has been completely installed, it should look like this:


Next, open your zipper halfway.
Pin your exterior pieces {including the padded felt} and sew along all three sides using the presser foot as your guide:


After you have sew the exterior pieces and felt it should look like this:


With ANY pouch I make, I always pull the project inside out at this point, simply to check to make sure all my seams have been sewn properly before moving forward:



Next, after turning the project back outside in, pin the interior pieces together, and mark a small space {about 3 inches wide} at the bottom of the pieces with chalk. This is the space you will not sew, so the case can be pulled through. 
Sew along all sides, except for the marked space:


Turn the case inside out, and top stitch the small opening of the interior pieces:


And VoilĂ You have created a sweet Bow Kindle Case!







Enjoy and Happy Reading!


Have any questions about this tutorial?
Feel free to email me at ktwcraftiness {at} gmail {dot} com or comment below!




Linking up to:
Mommy by Day Crafter by Night
Love Notes by Lauryn
Blissful and Domestic


8 comments:

  1. This is completely adorable! I'd love to make a smaller one for my iPhone. Great tutorial by the way. :) I'm definitely going to be a new follower to your wonderful blog. :)

    Have a good weekend.
    xo, Jess
    http://thedelightfulcrafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, thank you so much for your sweet words! :) And I think an iPhone case sounds like a great idea! Thanks for following and have a fantastic weekend as well!

      Delete
  2. This is too cute! I just made it this afternoon and I love it :D I posted it on my blog as well if you'd like to see it: http://reallifemarinewife.blogspot.com/2012/08/bow-kindle-cover.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did such a wonderful job! Thanks SO much for sharing this with me! I love your story and love your blog! I'll keep your deployed husband in my prayers (and you as well!) xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi, I just wanted to say thank you for your lovely tutorial, I had a go at making one for myself I've posted about it on my new blog http://onelittlegoosie.blogspot.co.uk,

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome job Selina! I love your other projects too! Thank you SO much for sharing!!! Happy Blogging!

      Delete
  4. This is great! I'm not a sewer (yet!) but I'm gonna see if I can't talk my best friend into making this for me! LOL! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Love It ! It was so easy I made it for my 7" Samsung Tab 3.
    I make handbags so I will make one to match my bags.
    I will post it on my blog
    http://lyndahawkins.blogspot.com
    if you want to see it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends! Thanks for taking the time to stop by my little corner of the universe!