4.21.2012

Tutorial: Simple Spring Skirt


I was really inspired a while back when Amy Butler introduced her Lark Collection.
I loved how she paired different fabrics together to create unique pieces.
I was so inspired that I began thinking of how I could incorporate a unique combination into a simple skirt design. 

I fell in love with the River Shine in Charcoal and Nanna Chic in Cloud and thought they would pair beautifully together. I really loved the ornamentation of the Nanna Chic in Cloud and really wanted to capture that part of the fabric with a feature at the bottom of the skirt. 
There are so many beautiful Amy Butler Lark fabrics that would suit this project just as well. 

I'd like to share with you all how I constructed this beautiful {but simple} skirt! 


Supplies:
Fabric of your choice
Coordinating Thread
2 inch wide Elastic
Safety Pin
{plus of course your basics: sewing machine, iron, needles, measuring tape, chalk, scissors}

Keep in mind that this is a customizable project as all ladies measure differently.
I'm 5' 2" tall and have a 26" waist and I cut my pieces as follows:
Main skirt panel: 2 pieces= 15" x 23" each
Bottom skirt panel: 2 pieces= 6.5" x 23" each

I use a formula when calculating my skirt widths: I take my waist measurement and subtract 3 inches to give me the width I should make each piece of my skirt panel. This gives me enough room to move in my skirt as well as provide for seam allowances while sewing. 

You also want to allow enough length in your skirt to accommodate a 2.25 allowance at the top of your skirt to insert your elastic, as well as other seam allowances throughout construction. 

I was able to order a yard in each of these fabrics to make my cuts, and I have plenty left over for another fun project. Just make sure when ordering your fabric that you have ordered enough based on your specific measurements.

After you have cut your pieces you can serge your edges or not serge, your preference.
{to serge, or not to serge, that is the question...}
{just kidding}

With your pieces cut, take the two smaller pieces for the bottom of your skirt and make a hem of a 1/2 inch.
Iron and pin. 


Sew the hem, using the presser foot as your guide, with the fabric's right side facing up.


It should look like this when you are finished with both pieces:

Typically, I do my hems differently than this, but due to the design of the fabric, this wasn't possible.
Typically I measure a half inch and iron, and then fold over another half inch once more to cover the raw edge. I then use my presser foot as a guide and sew the hem accordingly. 

Next, pin a bottom piece to one of the large main body pieces, right sides and raw edges together.
When pinned it should look like this:


Sew the two pieces together using the presser foot as your guide and repeat for the other remaining pieces:


When they pieces have been sewn together, they should look like this:


With your new assembled pieces, you should now have only two main pieces for your skirt.
Simply pin these two pieces right sides together with ends matching.
Sew the long sides together. 
When finished, you should have one large tube like so:


Next, the top of the skirt needs to be assembled so the elastic can be inserted. 
Since we are using 2 inch elastic, I measured 2.25 inches to create the tubing and allow enough room for the seam and the elastic to fit properly:


Once you have measured and pinned properly all the way around the top of your skirt, mark a space 1.5 inches wide on one of the side seams. This is where you will stop and end your sewing for the top of the skirt, so the elastic can be inserted:


Being sewing using the presser foot as your guide, reinforcing your stitch when you start and end at your opening for the elastic:


Now that you have created your tube at the top of your skirt, you will need to cut your elastic. I cut mine at 28", leaving me 2" for adjustments and enough length to sew the elastic ends together:


Work your elastic through the tube with the help of the safety pin, until it comes out on the other side:


Before closing your opening, test your elastic to be sure it fits properly and is not twisted or folded in any way in the waist of the skirt. 
Once you are satisfied with the feel of your elastic, sew the ends together:


Simply tuck the elastic into the waist of the skirt and sew your opening together by machine or by hand. 

And VoilĂ ! You have created a beautiful and simple spring skirt!



Enjoy!


Have any questions about this tutorial?
Feel free to email me at ktwcraftiness {at} gmail {dot} com or comment below!


Linking up to:
Mommy by Day Crafter by Night

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvette! I've enjoyed your blog projects as well!

      Delete
  2. that is such a super cute skirt! i love the fabric... great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love Amy Butler and her incredible designs, it really made the project!

      Delete
  3. Love your project!!!
    I currently have a Craft, Create and Inspire linky party going on, i would love you to stop by and link up this project...
    http://polkadot-pretties.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/you-inspire-linky-party_21.html

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much and thanks for the invite Claire! I've linked up and am a new follower :)

      Delete
  4. THAT is the cutest skirt I have ever seen and I must have one!! DB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet! Thanks for the lovely comment!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for linking up this fabulous project!!!
    This week’s Linky Party is up!!!! http://polkadot-pretties.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/you-inspire-linky-party_28.html
    I hope you will stop by an link up another lovely project..
    Claire x

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends! Thanks for taking the time to stop by my little corner of the universe!