3.12.2012

Tutorial: Infinity Scarf



I love scarves and infinity scarves are my favorite style of all. 
This is a perfect low-maintenance accessory and pairs perfectly with a t-shirt and jeans!
This makes a perfect gift as well. 

Want to know how to make your own?

First, choose a lovely fabric. I suggest using a lightweight cotton, cotton voile, or jersey cotton knit.
You will need 2 yards of fabric, matching thread, pins, tailor's chalk, and your sewing machine. 

Cut two pieces of fabric:

This measurement will make a scarf that can be double-looped.

 Pin your fabric right sides together and make a mark with your tailor's chalk 3 inches from each end on both sides:

Sew the sides of the scarf: begin sewing at this 3-inch mark, and stop sewing at the 3-inch mark on the opposite end. Use the presser foot as your guide. Reinforce your stitches by back-stitching on each end as well.  

 After you have sewn the sides together, you will want to turn the scarf completely inside out.

Take the two inner short ends and pin together, right sides together, as shown.

Sew straight across the short end that has been pinned together, use the presser foot as your guide.

 You will now turn the scarf outside in. Match up the remaining short end as shown. Pin the last short end, right sides together, and sew.

 You will now turn the scarf inside out (for the final time I promise) through one of the openings that you will have from those un-stitched 3 inches on each side.

Sew the openings together on each side. You can use your sewing machine and stitch closely to the end of the fabric as shown above, or stitch the openings closed by hand.

Press your scarf with your iron and...

...enjoy!



{The fabric for the pink scarf is Annette Tatum's Boho Henna Pink and the fabric for the blue scarf is Valori Well's Bloom in Cobalt cotton voile.}


I am linking up to:
www.skiptomylou.org  
sarahndipities.blogspot.com 
craftomaniac.blogspot.com
mommybydaycrafterbynight.com
makingtheworldcuter.com
todayscreativeblog.net 

13 comments:

  1. Love this tutorial!! I LOVE scarves & I just started sewing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jax! This is a great tutorial for beginners, I think you'll do great! Can't wait to see how yours turns out :)

      Delete
  2. Seems rather doable! Thanks for the tute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally, and not super time consuming! You are so welcome! :)

      Delete
  3. love this and will be trying it soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Let me know how yours turns out! :)

      Delete
  4. Excellent tutorial! I made one last night and it's super cute. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Emily! Hope you enjoy your new scarf! Bet it turned out beautiful!!

      Delete
  5. I just made this and it was SUPER easy to follow. I think I'll make a few more! Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just thought I'd let you know that your blog is fantastic! I love the design! :) So glad you enjoyed the tutorial!

      Delete
  6. Very nice tutorial! I made one and it turned out great! I pinned and blogged about your tute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial. Did one this afternoon. My daughter loves it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear Dawn! Hope she enjoys it!

      Delete

I love hearing from friends! Thanks for taking the time to stop by my little corner of the universe!