3.27.2012

Project: Laptop Case

I'm currently going through a phase...
If I'm thinking about buying something, I immediately ask "could I make this myself?"
So when it was time for a new laptop case, I could answer pretty confidently that I could make a lovely one on my own.

I'm not going to lie, I went through a little bit of trial and error while constructing this project, but it was totally worth it. Constructing the case is similar to that of a zipper pouch you would use for cosmetics, but slightly more complicated as I wanted to make sure my laptop would fit securely inside the case without much shifting around. The challenge lies in creating dimensions that will not only keep the laptop from shifting, but also will allow enough room to easily get the laptop in and out of the case.


I ordered my fabric from drygoods design online. For the exterior I used: Chevron in Village Blue and Natural by Premier Prints (which is home decor weight) and for the interior I used: Free Spirit Solids Fabric in Cream. I added some padding to make it even more comfy and safe for my laptop, and also rounded the edges.

I thought the chevron was perfect for this project and I'm so happy with how it turned out, perfectly simple and cozy.

What are some of your favorite DIY projects for your gadgets?



Linking up to:

3 comments:

  1. did you make your own pattern for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure did. I have a macbook air, so I couldn't use a traditional pattern since I wanted it to keep the laptop from shifting, but allow for enough room to get the laptop in and out easily. I'm working on putting the pattern on pdf for a 13" macbook air and a 13" macbook pro :)

      Delete
  2. I just wanted to let you know I featured you today on Blissful and Domestic. Stop by and grab a button!

    Danielle @ Blissful and Domestic
    www.blissfulanddomestic.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends! Thanks for taking the time to stop by my little corner of the universe!